Undoubtedly, tile backsplashes really look great when you consider renovating the kitchen. But, if you don’t have the time to clean grout lines, or you are looking for something trendy, then you should go for a glass kitchen backsplash. While these augment the style you have on your mind, they are easier to maintain and are sure to fascinate everyone around you. So, here’s what you need to go through.
- Basically, there are three different ways of setting up a backsplash. You can either do it all by yourself, request a contractor to do the job, or seek a company that specializes in glass backsplashes. As you choose one of the options, you may come across many advantages and disadvantages.
- Most of the time, the back side of glass backsplashes are always painted with an eye-pleasing color. But, if you want your kitchen to exude style, then you can go for a pattern. Setting up glass is the best way to protect any wallpaper you might paste on the walls.
- If the area that needs to be covered is fairly simple, then you can go about setting up the glass backsplash all by yourself. In case you plan to paint the glass, then you should use paint that is specifically meant for glass. If the backsplash is just behind the stove, then it’s always a good idea of using tempered glass which is safe to use when the area becomes hot.
- A back painted glass backsplash can always be set up with heavy-duty silicone adhesive. But, before taking any step further, you should ensure that the adhesive can sustain the weight of the piece of glass. It’s also recommended to test the adhesive before using it. Once you are done with the job, you shouldn’t forget to seal the seam between the countertop and the backsplash. This would certainly help you prevent the water from seeping in.
- If you don’t prefer painting the glass, then use fasteners / brackets for mounting the backsplash. Alternatively, you can also use channels at the top and bottom of the glass. In case of a frosted glass backsplash, you must use a quarter round molding attached to the upper cabinets. This would offer a great way of securing the backsplash and keeping it in its place.
- If you want the backsplash to boast a complex shape, then you should look for an expert when it’s time to install the backsplash. While the glass can be painted in any color shade of your choice, the expert will visit your home, measure the area and fabricate the piece of glass. This saves the hassle of ordering and installing glass which has to be of the exact size.
- Finally, you can create a backsplash from acrylic in case you can’t come up with glass backsplash ideas. Just like glass, the material can’t be used in locations where the gas burner has been kept. But, it’s easy to handle the acrylic backsplash as compared to the one made from glass.